11.30.2010

On the eve of December, it seems timely to post something.

It's been a strange year, frankly. Here's an unsorted list of events:

  • Every one of the venues that have shown my work for the past couple years have gone out of business.
  • I became a founding member of a new cooperative art gallery here in town. 7 of us started the project in January and opened the gallery in March showing 17 local artists. I started a facebook page for the gallery last week which you can see here.
  • I had my first teaching gig - a 2 week intensive at NMHU - which was awesome.
  • I took a printmaking class with Todd Christensen at NMHU. I learned etching, engraving, woodcut, solarplate and lithography. I would love to continue to do printmaking... can someone can give me an intaglio press?
  • I took a road trip in August with my brother and his wife (Max + Karen) to release my mother's ashes into the Atlantic Ocean.
  • I had no interest in working with encaustic after that - I'm still trying to figure out why, exactly. Instead, I began a bookmaking project with the working title 'The Story of Mary'. I did a series of 36 sharpie drawings derived from family photographs and captioned them with a simple biographical narrative about my mother. It's a funny and dark and juicy and I hope to have an varied edition of 50 by next summer.
  • My Pal has begun a huge project of large-scale ceramic sculptures this year. Along with many random interests, he has been haphazardly documenting the process on his blog. Being a two-artist family has it's challenges, but I'm really pleased he's getting his hands dirty again.
  • I have been chosen as the featured Artist of the Month at el Zócalo Gallery. I have been working on a small group of hybrid oil/encaustic pieces that will debut at the reception on December 11, 2010. This will be the only new work of the year, so don't miss it.

No comments: